Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Goodbye Playstation Home


Welcome to the BETA



It all started in 2008, I really forget when I actually got invited, but I saw the good potential, second life clone-ish software just called… “PlayStation Home” after the 4GB install I jumped in and people were actually pleasant, they always greeted you with kind words well mostly. I’ve met some good friends on home, especially when I needed it. I hate being super personal sometimes but that time I kinda hit rock bottom. My parents passed and I felt like that need to reach out and the home community helped me through it. I found my little sister and I even met my ex-girlfriend there. I’m getting ahead of myself; I’ll start from the beginning.


Home Sweet Home

It was the end of home, don't judge.

Home back in the day was very simple and very fun. You had only a few spaces the Central Plaza, Bowling Alley, Mall and the Theater. The central plaza was the place for meeting people on the dance floor, playing a spaceship game that If you were good enough you would earn shirts. Last was the lounging sitting area where people would just hang and chill out. And that’s when I met some very good group of friends. I remember spending hours just hanging out talking games, going to their apartments playing online occasionally well just having fun. But one specific space that came out that turned Home into the ultimate social scavenger hunt.

May the odds forever be in your favor.

It may have ended but the soul still burns.

They called it Xi and it’s popularity spread like wildfire, it was Home’s first social experiment, scavenger hunt and ARG (Alternate Reality Game). You had one clue a week, and of course treasure hunts are better with friends. We would spend the nights looking for clues, and talking to fellow Xi players/hunters. Home became even more social than ever. Imagine talking to random people and instead of asking stuff like where are ya from etc, you could ask people if they found any clues and most of the time we collaborated to achieve our goals.

Wanna be in my fam?


So after Xi Ended Home started to really get weird, Home stopped being a place to hang out with other gamers, it had its own economy, and because of all the extra clothes and apartment spaces. It gave birth to it’s own hierarchy. First you had noobs, some were trolls, and some were legitimate people looking to the appeal of home and never spent a dime. Next you had people that bought stuff and because of that some people saw noobs with default clothes as peons. But nothing will ever beat my fish hat, it’s my gift of being in home from the beginning . The highest (in their minds) was people a little too obsessed with home, most never played video games. And think theyre better than you because of they spend hundreds of money on fake items which last time I checked means absolutely nothing now. I am talking more specifically about the fams. A Home Fam is ummmm an Internet gang but not threatening at all. They won’t even talk to you if you’re not in a fam. They just hang out in the Hub and just do a lame pose and look like they’re AFK. it’s actually creepy. The requirements to get in one is just ridiculous, you have to buy their clothes buy their houses and basically give up all freedom just for a little acceptance or whatever. I’m old I just don’t get the internet sometimes.

Moving on up (To the next-gen side)

Home 2.0?


In the end Home in it’s infancy started out as a nice place and great slightly secret community where gamers could really meet up with people and start great friendships. As it grew people stopped being helpful and decent. Hierarchies were formed And fams were the nail in the coffin. The sadness of online anonymity is that you can be an asshole to everybody. Its just the way of the internet sadly but I don’t regret the time and money I spent in home. I ‘ve met some good people whom I call friends and family. Real family not this fam crap. People I truly care about. While PlayStation Home is no more, its spiritual successor will return on the PS4 and perhaps it will be better than ever.


Always remember be like Left Shark don't give a fuck.


No comments:

Post a Comment