Monday, February 10, 2014

Why I left Pokémon and why I’m back

Hello everybody this is Justin from KQS and I’ve been playing Pokémon Y a lot lately and I have been wanting to give a backstory to Pokémon and my experience. 

Welcome to the world of POKEMON!
Self Explanatory

 Unlike many other children, I actually stumbled upon Pokémon by mistake. I used to watch a show called Samurai Pizza Cats, and I would watch it everyday and like all good things they come to an end. So with the series over I just thought they would just show reruns, Next day I saw something totally different... the first episode of Pokémon, and it changed my childhood forever. I gravitated towards Ash Ketchum like no other character, even more than Ryu or Solid Snake. He was 10 and I was 10, he was ummm... tan? Well a darker skin color than the usual white/light skinned protagonist and he was given a pet that shocks stuff! As empowering a child to run away and go be a Pokémon master is awesome but extremely irresponsible, especially when your 10 year old has a high chance to be violently murdered in the forest by Spearows. So I was hooked and later I found the games and by both watching the anime and playing the games every gym battle felt like me and Ash were one. Every time I lost a battle I never felt that bad because Ash lost and he never gave up so I didn’t either. So time going along being a Pokémon Master became literately an obsession. Gotta catch em all, rappin dat PokéRap , I wore my Ash hat whenever I played, hell I dressed up as Ash for that Halloween a simple blue vest, Pokédex calculator I seriously wish I had a picture to share and compare it to my cosplay now. It took me a little time but I did catch all 150, I was on top of the world, I became a Pokémon Master but my journey wasn’t done yet, the next then came the card game, it was short lived cuz I sucked at it but I really liked having the cards of my favorite Pokémon, especially that elusive Charizard... which I got last year, and I feel like a Badass. I was never a great card battler cuz of well… money! My mom would slap me if I wanted 6 booster packs at 5 bucks a pop. So I found a even cooler way to card battle... with the Pokémon card game on Gameboy and it’s much more cost effective and I learned about the cool rare Japanese cards.

HOLY SHIT!!! ALL MY POKEMON IN 3D!!?
Fond memories of obliterating everything with Mewtwo

So being on top of the world with 150 Pokémon, I found Missingno and this was before the Internet, got some cool Pokémon cards and the movie Promo cards. And I got my dad to record the anime every day so I had my own VHS box set, I looked through my EGM and I saw the coolest thing ever, POKEMON STADIUM!!! Not only Pokémon in 3D but YOUR Pokémon. Seriously I hope someday a true successor to Pokémon Stadium series happens, yeah the Colosseum has a whole story to play but Pokémon Stadium has minigames, a super Pokémon emulator that tripled the game speed so grinding went by even faster. epic battles against tougher Gym Leaders, but one of the best parts is getting starters and Eevees after beating the Elite Four, not to mention Surfing Pikachu. It started my desire for making awesome Pokémon Teams to destroy my enemies.

OMG IT’S THAT BIRD FROM THE 1ST EPISODE OF POKEMON!!!
Ho-Oh.. see ya in Gold and Silver.

Just when I thought I was done with Pokémon then came the next gen Pokémon Gold and Silver, it added so much stuff! Day and Night cycles, 100 new Pokémon, Genders, Red Gyarados AKA Shinys plus more! Johto will always be my favorite region not only is Johto had a cool characters and gym leaders, awesome starters, the fucking bird from the first episode Ho-Oh, which was much better than Moltres, but my favorite thing about the 2nd gen, was the movie, Pokémon 2000 it came out on my birthday and I went nuts! Personally the 2nd generation was truly a "Golden Age", pun intended.

The end of the "Golden Age"
Those dead CG eyes...

So after being a part of the 2nd Gen for some time, Pokémon Stadium 2, the other Pokémon Movies, Pokémon Johto Journeys, I started losing interest in Pokémon and the only thing that would bring back my love of Pokémon was... well another Pokémon. So with the new Game boy Advance I was kind of excited for Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire, reading about it in my Nintendo Power, some things started bothering me, first was the new designs, they didn’t feel right, it felt like a new art style and to be honest, change in art style can change everything... and it did. The hero didn’t look as cool but the real thing that made me stop playing completely was one extremely important thing… No backwards compatibility, all the hard work of playing two Pokémon generations... gone... and even though they tried to bring back players with Pokémon Fire Red & Leaf Green it just wasn’t the same. On the TV show Misty left and May took her place just so people would be familiar with Ruby and Sapphire, the new CG art style sucked the life out of the characters VS the beautiful hand drawn early seasons. So even though I tried to get into them, I just couldn’t. I’m no GenWunner, as they call it, but I can sympathize with them to a certain extent, Pokémon stopped being Pokémon, every season dropped all previous existing plot and characters. 4Kids lost the English dub, no Veronica Taylor as Ash, the amount of legendaries started to become ridiculous that’s one of many reasons why most people quit. Not the silly reasons the Internet labels them for.

The True Return
 Pokemon is like riding a bike, you never forget.

I did buy the games but never had that incentive to play them, I bought the Gold and Silver remake, but I couldn’t get into it still but there was one hope, Black and White 2, but it wasn’t the game that changed me, it was the fact that for once I had a friend to play with, ChiefOfMagna my amigo, I gave him my White 2 while I had Black 2. I was reminded of the awesome days of using that damn Game Boy Link Cable but over wireless now and battling someone for the first time in years was exciting. I didn’t play as much as him so he was waaaay further. He wanted to battle but my Pokémon were way too weak. I had a team of level 15-17’s and his were Pokémon were in the 40s so I was outmatched but we had a Handicap Battle so it was 1 level 43 Pokémon VS a team of level 15-17 Pokémon and I had a huge feeling I was going to lose… but I won. We tried again with a 2v6 and I won again, it took a 3 of his level 40s Pokémon to kill off my team of 15-17 level Pokémon, my skills haven’t dulled, Pokémon training never really leaves you. It brought back lots of old memories, one thing that kind of influenced coming back too was the Pokémon Dream Radar and Pokédex 3D. Nintendo was really trying to add tons of Pokémon stuff to bring back old trainers and it worked... I was hooked again. Now fast forward to now, even though X & Y is really easy I still enjoy it. I’m all excited to work on a mini project of mine…

Operation: Gotta Catch em all!
New adventures await!

So after catching all 150 I was on top of the world, but when things changed too much, I stopped playing Pokémon completey, but because of my friends, I came back and it almost felt like I never left. But one thing was for sure, I wasn’t a Pokémon Master anymore... I had many more new ones to catch, so with the Pokémon Bank coming out, some awesome new investments, I have one new goal for this year... Complete the Pokédex once again... and right now it’s not too hard on Y I already have 160 in the Pokédex, a good start but also I need to finish the ones I’ve missed. Black 2 I’m almost done with 3 more badges to go plus the legendaries, Heart Gold I’m just starting out, Platinum the same, but...The really important games are the ones I’ve neglected for so long, the generation that made me stop completely, is the generation I need to finish most... Gen 3... Hoenn... The great thing about the DS games was the ability to transfer over GBA Pokémon. So I need to bite my tongue for this and play the Hoenn region. I’m gonna spend the year but the Pokédex will be finished before my birthday 2015. I will reclaim that throne of “Pokémon Master” I still have the skill as a trainer. and I’m gonna be the best there ever was... *Cue Pokémon Theme song*

No comments:

Post a Comment